Thursday, April 30, 2009

Music for Tourists

Chris Garneau is exquisite. He's certainly not "grindcore" as a first glance at the top of his myspace page might have you believe. Listen to Castle Time. Mr. Garneau has such a wonderful delicate voice. His songs are simply, starkly, beautifully arranged with piano, cello, light percussion (& sometimes accordion). I'm inspired by his cellist, Eleanor Norton. I've been meaning to pick the instrument up for years.

I discovered him in 2007 (Monday, July 25th) when he played with Xiu Xiu and Fucked Corpse at Babylon in Ottawa. I have a pretty sweet "Music for Tourists" tote bag from that show, which proudly carries my groceries from time to time.

He's from Brooklyn (so is Xiu Xiu... I assume that's why they played together). Apparently there's much wonderful music in Brooklyn! Also home to another of my favourite groups, As Tall As Lions (who I saw perform in Sydney, Australia, of all places).



I'll leave you with one of my favourite Chris Garneau lyrics from his song, Relief:
Nose to nose, eyes all closed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...